Sunday, January 9, 2011

Snow Parrot?

Making Days Count 9

Well, that was a bit of a shocker to wake up to! You’d think I lived in Canada...oh, right...I do! I didn’t realize that the myriad of stars I saw the other night could be snowflakes falling from distant space! Our first snowfall happened in November, and now our second has arrived, with more to fall during the week.
Photobucket

There were the usual birds flitting around on the Dogwood tree and at the feeders...Red breasted Nuthatches, Black capped Chickadees, Townsend Warblers, Varied Thrushes, Dark eyed Juncos, and my sweet little Ruby crowned Kinglet. He looked even tinier on the snow.
Photobucket

I did see his little red head as he fluttered in the Winter Jasmine by the front door, but he was too quick for a photo.

One bird with a yellow eyebrow was all puffy, so I didn’t know if he was a new visitor or just one of the regulars trying to keep warm.
Photobucket

At 10:00 a.m., on went my boots, scarf, gloves, and winter jacket and I set off to see Harzel in the snow.
Photobucket

Harzel didn’t have one visible snowflake on him as he was soaking up the sun’s rays. He’s actually in a perfect spot ~ off the beaten track with a beautiful view and open to the sunshine.

Photobucket
Now one thing I enjoy about a snowfall is the opportunity to see who or what has visited and left tracks in the garden. Uncovering tracks leads to discoveries...and yet mysteries are not always easily solved...

Photobucket

Photobucket


Date:2011/01/09, 21:02
Current Temperature: -3.2 C (L: -3.2 C, H: 3.2 C)
Humidity: 85 %
Wind Speed: 7 km/hr WSW
Pedometer reading: 5297
Unusual sightings: 1 Snow Parrot ;)

3 comments:

  1. I'm sure the rare visit of a Snow Parrot must be a sign of good luck ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL John, let's hope so! Poor thing is frozen stiff, except for its fluttering feathers ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got snow and it's now mild and wet here!
    As for the snow parrot that's far more exotic than my green parakeets!
    Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete