Monday, January 3, 2011

Harry Measures Up

Making Days Count 3

Christmas has been stored away for another year. It looks a bit bare around here without the baubles and sparkling lights, however I'm sure it will be whipping along once again soon enough!


Photobucket
It was another bright crispy day. The roads and roofs were frosty with the temperature being -2C. The sun was shining, which was the important thing!

I headed out for my walk midday and took a slightly different route so I could capture a clear photo of the local snowy mountain. 

Photobucket



Harry hadn't moved since yesterday so I stopped and gave him the once over. He is situated in a bit of a dip just outside a hedged property. He is at least 6 feet tall, but I'll try and take an accurate measurement, and also check out the trunk's circumference. I hope nobody gets the idea I'm about to dig it up! Apparently the root system is quite convoluted and intricately woven, so it would be rather challenging anyway!


Photobucket

Here's a beautiful view from Harry's perspective, of the range of snow covered mountains.


Photobucket

The tide was in, and only one seagull in sight. The bushes along the edge of the trail did not produce any photographic opportunities today, although I could hear scuttling in the undergrowth.


Lately I seem to see more birds at my feeders than on my walks. Today I noticed a Varied Thrush (no photo once again!), the usual little birds, and a robin with an interesting pose on the branch of the dogwood tree.


Photobucket

Another fascination  I have is seeing the various stages of a decomposing holly leaf. I have collected a few over the years, and one day I'll take some photos of them, especially since the focus is on trees!


Photobucket

I had a productive and enjoyable day which counts for a lot :)

4 comments:

  1. Terrific photos as always, and I like the robin! Decaying leaves aren't really my thing but fascinating all the same.
    You're so lucky to have such views on your doorstep!
    I have plenty of enjoyable days but just wish that some on them could be a little bit more productive. Never mind once spring comes and I get plotting again...! Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos of the frosty leaves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you enjoyed the photos, Flighty ~ it does help to live in a picturesque location. Sometimes it's hard to get motivated when the weather is dreary and grey, but since our New Year started out clear, crisp and bright, I was off to a good beginning! Yes, it won't be long before spring, and then back to the garden! There's always stuff to clean up here...my front lawn has cones all over it from the wind! If I could only get the birds to pick them up and carry them away :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for coming by dreamfalcon ~ the leaves do look quite magical with their crystal embellishments ~ glad you liked them :)

    ReplyDelete