Friday, February 18, 2011

Snow grains and sunset silhouettes

Making Days Count 49

I began my walk around 5 p.m. once the crazy-weather-day finally settled down. 'Snow grain' was in the forecast today. Snow grain? Click here. And I actually saw one ... or maybe even two. The temperatures are going to drop, although tomorrow promises sunshine. Flakes or grains, or sleet...something wet and cold is forecast for next week with temps around -2.   Keep your heads covered for a little longer Snowdrops!

Photobucket



I see minute signs of bud growth!
Photobucket
Sunset photos of mountain/clouds taken from the bottom of the road on the walk home.

Photobucket


Playing with the full 'Snow Moon' last night; photo taken from front door path.

Photobucket

8 comments:

  1. I've never heard of 'snow grains' before! I hope the weather there soon turns drier and warmer. It continues unsettled here with plenty of rain, and some snow up north again!
    What with a 'snow moon' as well this has been a rather wintry post! Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Flighty...there is a small window of sunshine, which is today, so I'm heading off to Victoria to see if I can find spring there. It's still winter by the sounds of the weather forecast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful skies, Glo -- you know how to capture them. And look at Harzel grow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful sunset photos.
    We get showers of 'snow grains' from time to time though I don't think we have a name for them here. Those little round pellets of frozen snow / ice can be very painful in strong winds.
    Lovely atmospheric 'Snow Moon'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh beautiful photos... I've never heard of snow grains before either

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Nikki~ Thanks ~ When skies are filled with beauty, I'm grateful when I can show some of it through photos, although they never seem to do the real picture justice. Yes, I think Harzel is sprouting somewhat! Exciting!

    Hi John, Glad you liked the photos ~ I think Snow Grains are just about infinitesimal, at least the ones I saw, not those hard icy shards that can ping off your head or face ~ these ones were like icing sugar! LOL

    Hi Juliet ~ Thanks, I'm glad you like the photos :) Yes, a new weather term for me, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two new things! Snow Grains and a budding Harzel :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What we get, Glo, are tiny frozen snow balls a few mm across, not as fine as your icing sugar.

    ReplyDelete