Saturday, May 14, 2011

Seeing Yellow!

The yellow I'm seeing is not sunshine, I can tell you that! The high is 12C today and the low 4C. It was a bit of a dreary day...but lightened up when I caught a glimpse of yellow in the cherry tree. Whatever could it be?

Apparently it is a Wilson's Warbler. They are the flittingist little feathered creatures to capture on camera. However I did manage to get a couple of decent shots.

See its eye peeking through the leaves? Is there a glint in that one, too, like the previous post of the Towhee?

Photobucket


A few more photos showing its black cap which indicates it is a male and also distinguishes it from the Yellow Warbler.

Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket

Other splashes of yellow in the garden:
Photobucket



I'm not quite finished with birds yet, although this one wasn't yellow! Yesterday I was sitting in the front room when I heard a cooing sound echoing quite clearly.  After going outside and looking up on my roof...I could see the echo was coming down the chimney!
Photobucket



Photobucket


We don't usually have pigeons or doves around here, but I've seen some flying around the neighbourhood lately.

Oh, look who just dropped by! It's the Yellow-rumped Warbler. Guess he didn't want to be left out of this 'yellow' post. I must say, ever since I've played around with him and Photoshop (see header), he's been giving me some particularly odd looks - as if he's daring me to try it again ;)

Photobucket

Photobucket




Sunshine is promised for tomorrow with a high of 17C, before turning back to rainy days!

9 comments:

  1. Oh, that yellow warbler is gorgeous! Well worth coming out of your hiatus to share with us :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for showing me these pictures of birds I wouldn't see otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful to not only see this flitty little warbler but to get some good photos of it as well!
    I've been fox watching as you'll see on my post today.
    It's been dry, windy, and cooler here. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's an adorable little critter. I would have thought goldfinch had I seen it. Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Hilary ~ He's just lovely, isn't he? One of those bright lights that cheer a person's day! I'm glad to share him with you...also thanks for the email re Blogger! Good that all's well now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The dove does look very much like our Collared Dove.
    The Wilson'e Warbler is a little beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought that I'd commented here so now I'm confused...!
    Anyway they're teffic shots of the warbler, especially as they're flitty little birds.
    Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi John ~ Thanks for the info. Yes, the Wilson's Warbler is sweet ... haven't seen it since, though.

    Hi UHDD ~ Cheeky and cute :)

    Hi Flighty - I think your first comment went down the Blogger drain, but glad you came back to comment again :) It was a lucky sighting and glad I was able to catch it with my camera as I haven't seen it since.

    ReplyDelete