Saturday, May 21, 2011

The Golden Hour

As you could tell from the previous post, sunny Spring returned at last! For two days it has been glorious. 
Winter pear:
Photobucket

Pink Dogwood:
Photobucket


I don't even know where to begin ~ the sights and fragrances of Spring are amazing. On Thursday I took a few more photos in the garden and of course, the BBQ had to be lit for a steak dinner! I had also baked some French Bread to accompany the meal. (not shown)
Photobucket


About 8:00 p.m. I thought it was time to visit Harzel. Such a lovely evening for a walk. Quite a lot of snow still on the mountain.

View from the end of the street:
Photobucket


Taking deep breaths of lilac was so therapeutic!

Photobucket


My goodness me, Harzel has filled himself out!
Photobucket

Sunset shining on Harzel:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


Here he is sharing the golden sunset with me.

Photobucket


Did you know that birds watch the sunset as well? I've noticed this before. I think this little Song Sparrow was singing the Sunset Serenade as a robin landed on a wire, a crow landed on a tree top, and then flew to another one with a clearer view
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


It would be wonderful if this weather continued, but I see the forecast is for 'cloudy with showers'. I'm sure the plants will appreciate the mixture of sun and rain, but personally I'd like more sun, please :)
Photobucket

9 comments:

  1. You are the only person I know with such an amazing view as that 'from the end of the street' Glo!! Unbelievable ;)

    Harzel is looking very resplendent in his Spring finery and I love the photo of the pretty little Song Sparrow. A 'golden hour' indeed!

    Re. your last post, I agree Blue skies and sunshine make such a difference to the way we feel and your Robin obviously had Spring on its mind too.

    Still no rain in my area of the UK but it hasn't been particularly nice either, dull, windy and barely any sunshine :( We really do need rain desperately, I have never, ever known it so dry this early!

    ReplyDelete
  2. About 8.15 last night I was in the garden listening to the birds serenading the Sun. Most were facing the Sun and it was lovely to hear a Song Thrush, several Blackbirds and a few unwelcome Wood Pigeons. Hopefully I managed to take some video of the Song Thrush to use on Friday.
    The lilac finished flowering here a while ago and many plants are showing stress with the lack of rain. We may get some overnight - I hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, I think we need a few more dozen photos of dogwood in bloom! I love how you've captured them like little faces turned up to the sun. How nice to see an update of Harzel. As for the lilacs... can't get enough of that gorgeous scent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Raining here - again! Lovely pics as ever however! Nice to feel a ray of sunshine after visiting here. Dx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Harzel is looking wonderful!
    We have gale force winds forecast for today - they haven't arrived yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some wonderful photos here but my favourite is of that sparrow enjoying the setting sun. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Harzel looks wonderful in the sunlight! We were having a lovely warm and sunny spring with the occasional shower but this morning it just rained constantly...

    ReplyDelete
  8. ShySongbird ~ Glad you like the mountain view - used to be able to see the mtn from the bedroom window, but a large fir tree has grown and masked it out!

    Yes, I was delighted to see that Harzel was looking so well...he is in a lovely area with song birds.

    It's amazing to think that the UK needs rain! A balance is necessary and so sad to think your beautiful warm spring needed water so badly, and now wind. I hope your weather sorts itself out!

    John - Good to hear that your birds are sunset admirers too serenaded by a chorus of sweet, and maybe not so sweet, birdsong ;) Hope to see/hear your song thrush. It is unfortunate and ironic that you are needing rain when there seems to be ample in other countries!

    Nikki ~ More pink dogwoods in today's post! Yes, the lilac is amazing and luckily lots around the neighbourhood when I go for a 'fragrant' walk! Harzel was quite lovely, wasn't he?

    Denise ~ Glad you enjoyed your sunny visit here and I do hope the rain helps to alleviate all the dry weather you have had!

    Mo ~ Pleased you liked Harzel's update, and I have heard that gale force winds are blowing in the UK now! The weather everywhere seems to be weird!

    Hilary ~ Yes, the Song Sparrow was singing so beautifully and looked particularly golden in the sunset. Pleased you enjoyed it too. :)

    Juliet ~ Glad to know you enjoyed seeing Harzel's update, too! I've heard today that there are gale force winds in Scotland so hopefully you are not affected by power outages, etc.!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful uplifting post, with lots of good photos. I especially like the one of the sparrow. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete