Monday, May 2, 2011

Newbie Bird as Spring Unfolds

A see-saw day starting with rain, a sunny afternoon, a cloud burst then a pleasant evening!

I had a wander in the garden after the rain.  The apple blossom is starting to bloom, the cherry is full blown, and my patch of new daffodils is opening!

Photobucket

I love the fragrance of Yellow Wallflowers which are just starting to open. Don't tell the deer but they missed a couple of tulips!  I liked the vivid Magnolia blooms contrasted with the white Viburnum bush.  My mature red Peony is looking quite lush but is also waiting for more sunshine.  In the meantime I'll enjoy the process of watching spring unfold.

Photobucket


When I fill the bird feeder in the back garden, sunflower seeds scatter on the ground.  This seems to have attracted a mixed group ~ including a new bird for me, a White-crowned Sparrow, who was sharing with the House Finch and Pine Siskins.

Photobucket


Photobucket


White-crowned Sparrow:

Photobucket


I wasn't able to edit the following video for some reason...but I tried to capture the bird song in the back garden. I have another video to add once it has finished uploading to Photobucket.



Edit to add video #2:


After supper, I walked around the neighbourhood, noticing many birds perched atop trees and houses. I was accompanied by a peaceful serenade until a Raven landed on a treetop with a sqwark.

Photobucket


Then off he flew into the evening sky.

Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. I love those evening skies. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant to call by to wish you a Happy May Day but I'm late. It's lovely to see the flowers blossoming in your part of the world and, as always, I enjoy seeing your birds.
    The ants nest, however, has left me feeling itchy!
    Like Adrian I also loved your skies.
    Mo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Adrian. It was a mixed day and the evening sky seemed to gather it all together.

    Happy May Day to you too, Mo. Thanks, yes it is good to see the flowers blossoming...and now I'm keeping my eye on the lilac which has a fair bit to go. I was surprised to see a new-to-me bird yesterday. The ants nest must have been about a two foot circle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sure do have a lot of lovely colour unfolding.. both of the petal and feather variety.

    ReplyDelete