Saturday, August 15, 2009

Walk, Water, Work, and Wings

At last we have had some rain and the temperatures have cooled down somewhat ~ in fact I've even felt a bit chilly at times! The rain was very welcome as it hasn't rained since the beginning of July. It's going to heat up again next week, though.

Even the vegetables had their fingers crossed for a bit of relief from the heat.

Photobucket

On a cooler day, I dressed a little warmer and headed to the beach. By the time I was returning home, the sun was red hot and I was sweltering! I must remember to wear layers of clothing! Here's a few sights on my walk:


Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket


The tide was going out, leaving a scattering of seaweed on the sand. It must have been a roiling sea!

Photobucket

Can you see what I spotted?

Photobucket

~ a heart rock snuggled in with the rest ~

From a previous photo I took, I realized that the suet holder was dwindling in content, so I refilled it, much to the delight of the chickadees, nuthatches and other small birds. There has been a flock swooping into the various trees, and I happened to video a few birds enjoying the new offering.



This is a nuthatch ~


Photobucket


Of course, the neighbour's cat, Mr. Sneaky, has decided to visit and is watching my every move, as I watch what he's up to as far as the birds are concerned.


Photobucket
Photobucket


Today, I spotted a couple of hummingbirds darting around. I managed to capture one of them in midair above the wildly growing grape vine!

Photobucket

There are some large dragonflies around as well, but as yet I haven't seen one of them land!

I have tried to do some work each day so I don't get completely used to this holiday mood, like I was retired! Yesterday I managed to cut the front lawn before the rains came. Today I decided to do some 'school work' that I brought home in the middle of July. I thought if I got it sorted out it would help me prepare for what's to come in a couple of weeks when I go back to work. I was pleased to get it done. Now, back to being on holiday...

6 comments:

  1. That's even more impressive than my four fingered carrot, which had two severed whilst lifting!
    It must be a real pleasure to watch the birds on the feeder like that.
    I like the seashore photo, and the hummingbird one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the crossed finger carrot. Enjoyed your video of the birds at the suet feeder. Well done capturing the humming bird in flight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Flighty, well all things are going digital, so why not vegetables? LOL The carrot was in the bag with the other vegetables that my friend from the farm gave me. There are swarms of these little birds swooping in and out of the trees, and they are indeed nice to watch. They sure like the suet feeder, and end up with stuff stuck to their beaks. Cute. I also took a video of the seashore - lovely ocean waves lapping on the shore, but it would have made my posting even longer!

    Thanks, John ~ the carrot was funny, and once cooked whole, I stuck it straight up in the middle of the rest of the carrots when we had a group for supper on the island I was visiting. I was glad to see the birds like the refilled suet feeder, and I was delighted to get a photo of those quick little hummers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting carrots, looks like fingers :)

    Hey... Mr. Sneaky! How are you? Long time no see on Glo's blog, hehehe...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Continue to enjoy being in holiday mode Glo. I haven't ever seen a carrot quite like yours! Did you bring the heart-shape pebble home? I always pick up pebbles from our local beach, and when on holiday too. You certainly get great birds on your feeders. Hardly surprising when there is such tasty suet treats to be had! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Selby ~ LOL, that was a funny looking carrot for sure! I often see Mr. Sneaky roaming around my garden, and now he just looks at me as if to say, "Do you have a problem?"

    Hi Louise ~ Yes, I will enjoy the holiday feeling while I still can. The heart shaped rock was about 4 inches across and heavy as lead, so I left it where it was! Over the years, I have collected many and brought them home with pockets laden, though! I have them in a pile in my 'rose garden' and hope to do something with them one day.

    ReplyDelete