Saturday, August 29, 2009

Forgotlets, frhoglets, and tartlets

Just a minute until I gather some friends around to explain the foolishness that started on Thursday ~

Photobucket




We're listening!
Photobucket

On Thursday afternoon, the 'boss' and I got tired of the stuffy office and decided to have a 'meeting' on the outdoor deck at one of our favorite pubs. I took my camera along as there are beautiful hanging baskets, a lovely view, and I was hoping to take a photo of a dragonfly or two as they frequent the place as well. An hour or two passed by pleasantly and we left. (I mean, errr, we met and made up our "To Do List"...and then left.)

On the way home, I made an after-hours bank deposit for work, and then went to my own bank as I had a cheque to deposit at the ATM (automatic teller machine). In the bank alcove, I couldn't find a pen to write on my deposit envelope, so went back to the car to get one...keys locked in car, used extra key in purse to unlock car ... back to the ATM machine, got my bank card out, put it in the slot, and the screen read "Out of service". I think the deposits had just been picked up and the machine hadn't reset yet. Oh, well...these things happen...

So, I decided to go to the beach before going home and take some photos. Down to the beach, parked my car, looked for my camera ... no camera! I'd left it at the pub. I phoned my son at home to ask him to look up the pub's phone no., called the pub, my camera was there, phoned back my son, asked him if he'd like to go for supper there with me since it was now 5 p.m.!

Picked up son, went to pub, got camera, had supper ....went for a little walk around the place looking for dragonflies, leaned over a bridge to get a photo of dragonfly, glasses fell off the top of my head and down the bank near the water... son climbed precariously down and rescued glasses...


(PS ~ No alcohol involved even though at pub, in case anyone was wondering if that could have been a contributing factor...;)



At this point, I thought I'd better just go home and have an early night. Luckily I do see the humour in these type of incidents, although, by the look on my son's face, I'm not sure he did! I also try to see if there's a 'message' when these type of things occur quite noticeably.


Lesson Learned ~ The whole idea of going back to work is not such a great idea!


PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

I found all of these frogs on the web ~ but what about this shoe/boot cleaner...Doesn't it look very much like a frog-hedgehog, or frhog??
.
Photobucket


This next one is animated, so wait until it ...



Photobucket

smiles :)



On Friday, it was back to work again, with another afternoon 'meeting' as the weather was just too beautiful to be inside! I left my camera in the car this time.

About 6 p.m. I headed down to Victoria for the rest of the evening and stayed overnight ~ met my brother, other son and girlfriend, and three nieces at a ...pub. I didn't take even one photo, although it was a beautiful day once again. I noticed on my drive there and back that the maple trees had a tinge of autumn to them, that farmers were making hay again, that the flowers are still lovely ... and that summer really doesn't want to leave quite yet!

Now for the tartlet recipe that Louise asked about for these:

Photobucket

Shortbread Tarts with Cheese and Fruit

Use tiny muffin tins, approx. 1 1/2" diameter. May make up to 3 doz.

1 cup butter
1/2 cup icing sugar
1 1/2 cup flour (not self-rising)
1 tbsp. cornstarch

Mix ingredients in mixmaster. Don't roll flat with rolling pin, but form into little balls and pat into muffin tins with your fingers to form shells. (You could chill it first, just so it's easier to form). Prick the bottoms with a fork and bake 20 mins. at 300 or 325 F. During baking time, prick bottoms again if the shells puff up. These may be made in large quantity and frozen.

Cheese and Fruit Filling

1 - 8 oz. pkg of Cream Cheese, softened
1 can of sweetened condensed milk
1/3 cup lemon juice
1 tsp. vanilla

In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Gradually beat in sweetened condensed milk. Stir in lemon juice and vanilla. Fill tarts at least 2 hours before serving to allow flavours to blend. Top with fresh fruit (i.e. kiwi, berries)

Here's a different filling that should be put into tart shells just before serving ~ same shortbread tartlet recipe.

Lemon Cheese Filling

2 eggs
2 tbsp. butter
1 cup sugar
Juice of 2 lemons and some lemon zest

Combine all ingredients in pan and bring to boil. Reduce heat and cook, stirring constantly for 15 minutes. Cover and cool in refrigerator. This filling will keep well in refrigerator and fill tarts just before serving.







6 comments:

  1. Poor Glo. Things are supposed to happen in threes but I think you have been trying to get in the Guinness Book of Records :)

    Love the frhoglets and the tartlets are making my mouth water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a case of sympathies and smiles!
    I like all your listening friends, and the new layout which is nice and easy on the eyes.
    You're teasing us by showing that picture of the tartlets again!
    I hope that you're having an enjoyable, and relaxing, weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi John ~ Perhaps things were happening in multiple of threes! LOL When I saw the frog with a bristly back, I laughed...and I'm glad you enjoyed the frhoglet, too. The recipe for the tartlets is there, so, go on...make yourself some!

    Hi Flighty ~ Thanks for the sympathies and smiles :) I wasn't too bothered, but things were getting a bit silly! For the layout, I just used bigger fonts and colours which I had forgotten I was able to do! Glad they were easier on the eyes. Have you ever baked tarts? Now's your chance! I did have an enjoyable weekend ... the weather stayed beautiful and after getting home from Victoria last night, I just stayed home today doing some odd jobs and just whatever I felt like :) Hope your hut duty went well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hut duty was mostly spent chatting with plot neighbour Trevor who's a middle aged hippy with stretched, pierced earlobes! That was whilst enjoying a slice or three of ginger cake and several cups of tea. As you've probably gathered we weren't rushed off our feet! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Flighty ~ sounds like a perfect way to spend your Sunday Hut Duty! Can't get much mellower than that, can it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for the recipe Glo. I never imagined they were like miniature cheesecakes. I must give them a go. Yummy! x

    ReplyDelete