Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Images from the island

There were some picturesque scenes on my holiday island ... Photos are clickable.


Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

This photo was taken at a marina with a large contingency of expen$ive $eagoing ve$$els!

Photobucket


A red heart leaf along the shoreline.

Photobucket


If you came along on the bumpy ride on my last posting, you will be happy to know that I went out on the boat once more to pull up the last prawn trap. However, this time the ocean was as serene as a mill pond. Look what was in the prawn trap...

Photobucket

What the heck is that! After a bit of research, we found out it was a Spotted Ratfish or here's another link...check out the eyeball, spiny fin and the shark-like mouth. He was carefully let out back into the water.

It was a lovely evening, so we sat in the boat on the smooth water, doing a bit of fishing. At first there wasn't any action at all ~ however, soon we were rewarded with a nibble of two and landed a rock cod and a red snapper. The 'fish bucket' was not on board, so the fish ended up on the floor of the boat, by my feet!


Photobucket




The sunset was beautiful, but my camera didn't pick up the redness of the sun. Nevertheless, this series shows the beauty and tranquility of the evening.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for showing us the island.... Nice pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your pics Glo and I do really love that pretty heart shaped leaf... what a find. I have a few pics to share soon. When I do I hope you will have a look. My daughter has taken a wonderful photograph whilst we were on holiday and it's very good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was interesting to read all about the Ratfish! I wouldn't like to get too close to one in, or out of, the water.
    Another good post with terrific photos, especially the sunset ones at the end. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you had some good weather for your trip. Lovely sunsets, especially those with the Sun reflecting in the water. Capturing the colour always seems difficult.

    What a beautiful photo of the red leaf with the sunlight playing through it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Selby ~ I'm happy you enjoyed the photos. We could have done with some of those popsicle type things that your street vendors sell!

    Hi Daffy ~ welcome home and happy to know you had a wonderful holiday and birthday. I like heart-shaped things and often notice them in nature, such as leaves and rocks :) I loved Andrea's photo of the sunset and swan!

    Hi Flighty ~ Yikes, what a fish that ratfish was! I've never seen the like and it was hard to find it online until I googled "strange looking fish" . You just never know what's swimming around in that big ocean! Glad you enjoyed the photos and the sunset was really lovely, especially when floating along on the ribbon of light.

    Hi John ~ The weather was gorgeous while I was away, and I picked the right week because it has rained off and on since I've been home. I think I even used my sunset setting to try and capture the colour, but it didn't really seem to help. Glad you liked the red leaf ~ I wonder if it's a sign of autumn ~ or just a reflecting the heart of summer?

    ReplyDelete