Monday, August 31, 2009

A Tinge of Autumn


This is one of the bountiful and beautiful hanging baskets that I mentioned in my previous post that was on the deck of the pub we visited.


Photobucket

I have harvested my pear tree and have been enjoying their sweet and succulent taste. I think I'll be canning some of them so they can be enjoyed in the winter months as well. I'll post photos if and when I do that!

In the meantime the grapevine has draped itself over nearly all of the other trees in the back garden ...

Photobucket

with groups of green gleaming globular... (well you get the picture)

Photobucket


Meanwhile in the front garden, there is just a tinge of Autumn ~

Photobucket

and a colourful face showing shades of fall~

Photobucket

The blue hydrangea reflects the still blue skies of summer ~
Photobucket


as the evenings become slightly cooler and darkness descends a little earlier ~

Photobucket











6 comments:

  1. Pears, grapes and a wonderful blue hydrangea all make me just a tiny bit envious! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful set of photos. Sounds as though you are getting a bumper harvest with your grapes and pears. I know I can buy tinned pears but this is the first time I have heard of canning them at home.

    Lovely cheerful Sunflower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Flighty ~ but you had ginger cake and tea! The thought of a piece of ginger cake had me looking up recipes ~ ones with just a touch of lemon icing on top...Pleased that you enjoyed the pears, grape and the lovely blue hydrangea.

    Hi John ~ Thank you! The pear harvest was a good one and such delicous ones. Many clusters of grapes as well. To preserve the pears, I put them in a very light syrup, and then into mason jars before putting into the canner for their hot water bath! If you'd like to see how it's done, check this pdf out ~
    http://www.pickyourown.org/pdfs/pearscanning.pdf

    The pdf also mentions using grape juice so perhaps I can figure out how to incorporate both harvests!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pictures! The colors are so beautiful!

    Autumn is my second favorite season after winter :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Didn't you just jump with both feet into summer? And here you are, tiptoeing into fall. Those grapes look glorious -- so full of green goodness. Makes me think of pino grigio, the wine in those slightly green tinged bottles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Selby ~ I'm glad you enjoy looking at my part of the world, as I enjoy looking at yours :)

    Hi Nikki ~ You're right ~ jumping into summer does not seem that far back, and it was a beautiful summer here...mostly sunny warm days, a few really hot ones, but can't complain at all. It has cooled down a bit now in the evenings, and we've even had a thunderburst or two ~ fall is definitely on the way here.

    ReplyDelete