Sunday, March 8, 2009

...for the birds

A little catch up from last week:

I did beat the 20 minute walk to work one day, barely...

Photobucket

I've neglected photos of the mountain recently because I don't drive that way to work anymore, but caught it in the sunshine last week :

Photobucket

A glimpse of a pastel evening on Friday ~

Photobucket

Yesterday was for the birds ~ the weather was temperamental ~

When hail started to ping, I saw wings diving for the underbrush:



Snow followed, with the sundeck looking like this ~

Photobucket




After an hour, the sun shone, the snow melted, and the birds came out of hiding:

In the front garden, the dark-eyed junco was busy at the bird feeder, when he was joined by a friend:

Photobucket

Photobucket

In between beak-fulls, they must have had a discussion about swapping sides:

Photobucket

Meanwhile, on the grass, Robin made an appearance:

Photobucket

Oh, Robin says, taking my picture? Just a minute until I get the right pose:

Photobucket


Hmmmm...not quite what I'm after. There now - they don't call me Robin Redbreast for nothing...

Photobucket

Now, let me be ~ I feel a worm coming on!

Photobucket

Meanwhile at the back bird feeder, a Varied Thrush was contemplating.

Photobucket

In fact, he contemplated so long, he was still there after I had run upstairs to get my camera.

Now what was he thinking about?
Oh, I see ~ trying to figure out how to approach the bird feeder...

Photobucket

After a long time, he decided to make his move...

Photobucket

and up he went ... steady now

Photobucket

Photobucket

And so it continued... up and down





Once he got the hang of it, he looked right at me as if to say, "Did you get all that?"

Photobucket

Soon a Red-Breasted Nuthatch arrived ~ followed by others on the suet feeder. These are the first nuthatches I've noticed this year. Nuthatches nested in the birdhouse at the end of he yard last year. I think the Varied Thrush below may be the female, as the necklace band is not quite as dark as the other one. She seemed to have no trouble hopping from the window box onto the bird feeder. Having the nuthatch and thrush in the same photo shows the comparison in size.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Nuthatches are also know as "upside-down birds", often hanging upside down or going down trees head first ~

Photobucket

Here are the two Varied Thrush and a Dark-eyed Junco.

Photobucket


Quite a day...for the birds :)

3 comments:

  1. What a lovely bird-ful post! I can't believe how that varied thrush waited for you to get your camera before making his move on the birdseed. What a little performer ;-) And I love that shot of the crocuses coming through the snow. Spring comes through -- even snow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nikki beat me to it as I was going to say what a birdieful post!
    Well done on doing your walk in under 20 minutes.
    You sure do get to see plenty of various birds there, and your robin is so different from mine!
    As for the weather there...mmm! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nikki ~ Thanks and I'm glad you enjoyed the birds! The purple crocuses are accentuated by the white background, aren't they. My new header is a macro of the white and purple striped ones. I thought it was a day of weather and birds but nothing to what Sunday brought! Stay tuned!

    Hi Flighty ~ Good that you both thought of that play on words ~ birdieful ;) Wait until you see the next entry!

    ReplyDelete