Thursday, December 18, 2008

White Out!

Ok, where were all my blogging helpers and their snow shovels???

On Wednesday (yesterday), the snow began in earnest (and here, too). My goodness, it was like driving through mountains and ruts of icing sugar. Eventually I made it home from work after making sure the children all got home safely from school. There was at least a 6 inch layer of snow in my driveway, but by driving forward and backward, I finally made it to the garage door, and slithered in. The snow continued all night, and by morning there was at least 24 inches on the back deck!

First I'll show today's photos of the juncos ~ the previous dish of bird food is about 12 inches under, so I had to put another one out...and then only one bird would eat at a time, so I added another dish which seemed to solve the problem.

Photobucket
If you click on the little fellow below, you'll see snowflakes around his beak. Isn't that cute?
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

After taking numerous photos of views from various doorways and windows of the house, I put on my snow pants, my winter jacket, boots, and gloves to do the inevitable. Dig. It was 10:00 a.m. My son was unable to get home last night because of the snow and roads, so it was all up to me! While I was out there, 5 white swans flew overhead! They were beautiful to see! No photo though.
Back door:
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Birdhouse?
Photobucket
Photobucket
Front Door:
Photobucket

Front window:
Photobucket

White wonderland trees, some views from the upstairs window and a few from the front door ~
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket

Driveway to clear:

Photobucket

Four hours later:

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket



Still more to go tomorrow, it shouldn't take too long I hope ~

Photobucket

At first the snow was quite powdery and fairly easy to lift, but as the sun came out it became stickier and hung on to the blade of the shovel. After 4 hours, that was it for the day! I felt good, though although my left arm in particular knows it has been busy heaving!

Time to relax ~ orchid still blooming from early November
Photobucket

Winter jasmine against the snow ~

Photobucket

Moonlight ~

Photobucket

Forecast for sun, a few more flurries and continued below zero weather. I can't drive out of the garage yet, but at least my son was able to drive in today. I'm happy to stay home for now ~ and hopefully decorate the tree tomorrow.

5 comments:

  1. I was going to say wow yet again!
    It all looks wonderful but I guess that after a few hours of shovelling the magic kind of wears off!
    Great photos Glo and I love the header.
    Take care, stay warm and have a good weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Flighty ~ Wow it is! Could stand for Weary of Working... however, although I was tired from digging, it still looks magical because the snow is still so white and unspoiled. I am fortunate in that I don't have to go to work (although there's still lots to be done before I start the new job). I'll go in between Christmas and New Year. For those who do have to travel the roads or are snowed in, of course it is a huge challenge. In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy the uniqueness of it especially when I can hear the town hall bells ringing out carols as I'm digging:) Digging will resume before too long ~ I can't procrastinate indefinitely! The header is the view from the spare bedroom window. The sun was just hitting those trees in the distance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh.. the bird pics are so cute... and again.. the snow is beautiful... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness me! Can I just say, at the risk of sounding unoriginal, that is a heck of a lot of snow!!!

    ReplyDelete