Sunday, October 25, 2009

Weekend Update!

The photo used in my new header was taken yesterday, Saturday ~ the oak tree in my front garden. It was a gorgeous golden autumn day. Today, however, it was blustery! The sky was filled with whirling leaves.

Here's Oakley surrounded by leaves mostly from the Pink Dogwood Tree. He's still hanging on to his own leaves! I don't rake up anything until after Hallowe'en. I like the idea of the children kicking through them as they come up the walkway, even though some of them get tracked in!

Photobucket




It was a day to stay inside and be cozy. I decided to bake raisin bread, make a pork chop crock pot dish, and bake a chocolate cake :) The photos of the food seem to be all autumny colours, however a salad provided the greens!




Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket


This is how I'm feeling lately, as I'm not sure if I saw a mouse in the house or not!
Photobucket


I thought I saw something moving under the sofa, and after leaping up on a chair, realized that wouldn't solve the problem, so I searched online for a way to trap a mouse without using a mousetrap. I ended up getting a 5 gallon bucket, taping the handle to keep it upright, and dangling a plastic Christmas ball dabbed with peanut butter from a bungy cord wrapped around the handle. The only thing to end up in the bucket was the peanut butter which dripped off the Christmas ball. Ahha, I thought. I then filled my tea strainer ball with peanut butter and hung that from the handle beside the Christmas ball. I placed a long wide ruler as a ramp for the mouse to climb up to the rim of the bucket, lean forward for the peanut butter, teeter on the edge, and fall in. Kerplunk.


Nada.

There are no tell-tale signs of a mouse around the house other than what I "saw". Perhaps it was a very large spider, but that doesn't bear thinking about. I decided to buy a mouse trap and put a substantial piece of cheese on it. The idea is to get the mouse used to finding the cheese in a safe location and then after a couple of days, set the trap. (If I can figure out how to do that). So the cheese stayed there for a few days until it dried out.

Today I went to the trap to throw the cheese out, but the cheese was GONE! Now I can't remember if I was the one who picked it up already, or if a mouse is now very well fed. EEK! (That's what people say when there's a mouse around.) It is that time of the year when a mouse could have easily followed me in from the outside and through the garage, although it has never happened before. I have now put a fresh piece of cheese on the trap, and will watch to see if it disappears or if I'm playing tricks on myself. I know this is fodder for a poem, and perhaps when I either catch it or find out I'm the one picking up the cheese, I'll write one. In the meantime, I'll just smile and say cheese ... and not touch it!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Glo. Lovely looking food. I haven't had a chocolate cake for about a year and it's making my mouth water just looking at the picture.

    I used to get mice in most Winters. Mainly in the roof space but they would come down through gaps where the various water pipes go through the ceiling in the kitchen airing cupboard. I never saw one but did see their droppings. At least three years ago I bought some ultra sonic rodent scarers. The type which plug in a power socket. Since then, touch wood, I haven't seen any signs of mice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your mouse adventure story, Glo. The bucket and peanut butter probably won't attract too many oversized spiders. But maybe you have a mouse after all if the cheese was snatched...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and we're having a windy week, too, though not with as many pretty leaves swirling around as you do. Enjoy your fall colors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a terrific header photo! I saw it this morning and that reminded me to look for my Oakley, which I found still wearing his green leaves.
    Then when I turned back the compost heap cover I found myself staring at a mouse. I somehow don't think that it's yours though do you!
    Lovely entry which had me smiling at your 'Heath Robinson' catch-a-mouse contraption! I think that it might be easier to call on the services of Mr Sneaky! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi John ~ Well, it's definitely time you had a chocolate cake if you haven't had one in all that time! It's a tasty one, especially with a dollop of vanilla ice cream! Thanks for the compliment re the food.

    Of course you'd get a sonic rodent scarer to plug in! LOL ~ are there any electrical outlets left in your abode? I can just picture mice holding their paws over their ears, hopping on their back feet vacating your premises as fast as they can to escape from the ear piercing sound! I'm glad it worked!

    Hi Nikki ~ Glad you enjoyed my mouse story...which isn't over yet! Each day seems to be mixed ~ sun, wind and rain, and whirling colours, so it makes life look interestingly alive. The colours are lovely, especially when the sun pays a visit.


    Hi Flighty ~ Thanks. The header photo was taken on your birthday! I love the comparison to Heath Morrison's contraptions...I've always loved gadgets and gizmo's and have rigged up a few contraptions in my time! Nothing steam powered or candle driven, though. Imagine your Oakley still wearing greensleaves! Did you take a photo? Funny, you mentioned Mr. Sneaky ~ I hope it doesn't come to that, but the thought actually crossed my mind to let him in! I'd like to think that the mouse you saw in your compost pile is the one I thought I saw! Did you check to see if it had a British accent? ;)

    ReplyDelete