Saturday, April 11, 2009

The Brant Goose

Introducing the Brant Goose. As many as 20,000 of these geese have been spotted on the coast of Vancouver Island as they feed and rest on their migration path from California and Mexico to Alaska.

Photobucket

A photo of the sky on the way home from a drive last night.

Photobucket

We've had a couple of very pleasant springlike days so far on this long Easter weekend, which gave me a chance for the first lawn mowing of the year. I also spotted where the chomped tulips and hyacinths were around the garden, and I think I'll dig out the bulbs and put them in a container for the deck.

Tomorrow my son and I are heading south, picking up son number 2 on the way, and ending up at the third son's home for Easter dinner. I've cooked turkey, potatoes, yams, etc. and will also take a "bunny" cake which has just come out of the oven and will need iced, shortly. Spring will be a few weeks ahead there, so I'm excited to see which flowers are in bloom.

Easter blessings to you :)

6 comments:

  1. I like the tuxedo-like effect of the goose's markings - very formal and proper ;-) And I'm so pleased spring has finally decided to make itself known to you! Enjoy your Easter celebration with your sons. I'm cooking tonight, too, to avoid the rush tomorrow. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nikki ~ Happy Easter to you :) Yes, the Brant does look rather formal, doesn't he...and still has such a long way to travel to Alaska!

    I still have to ice the bunny cake, so better get at it. Hugs to you and Roomie, too. I bet your Easter dinner will be delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going out for dinner today with all of my in laws. Of course my dad is coming too! There is no show without Punch! Tonight I'm going for another meal and we are going to see Il Divo in concert. Google them. I think you would like them.
    Your photographs are wonderful! Enjoy time with your boys and i do hope you enjoy eating the poor bunny cake! *sniff* haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Daffy ~ I've just finished icing the cake and this is one I will not photograph! It looks like a cross between a guinea pig and a rodent of some sort. Hopefully it tastes better than it looks. Probably the reason it is so weird, is because I'm laughing my head off at it, poor thing, and keep dabbing it with this and that!
    I have Il Divo CD's ~ you lucky thing seeing them live ~ they're awesome. Better take some kleenex to wipe the drool off your chin ~ well, I'd be drooling. ;)

    You're having quite a special weekend! Sounds wonderful to have everyone together ~ If your dad's Punch, are you Judy?? (See I remember those puppet shows). Happy Easter to you and yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a lot of geese. I presume that they don't cause any problems as they stay on salt water?
    It's good to see that you've had some good weather. Here it's been raining the past few days!
    You'll have to put a notice up saying 'No eating the flowers!'
    Enjoy the rest of the holiday. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Flighty ~ The Brant are scattered along the coast, so there doesn't seem to be a problem with the large number. There are even signs posted during March and April to keep dogs off the beach so that the birds' resting and eating sojourn is undisturbed as much as possible. We had good weather on Friday and Saturday. Sunday was a different matter. It poured on our drive south, and we didn't see the sun until late afternoon, which changed plans for the day. I did manage to make a quick visit to the park where I found some tulips. See next post! I've never had a year where all my tulips were eaten in the garden ~ like this time ~ so any suggestions are more than welcome!

    ReplyDelete