Friday, December 10, 2010

A surprise visit...

*Edit has been added.

I have spotted a new visitor in the back garden recently. I don't know if you can spot him, but he was attempting to feed from the suet block on the apple tree.  By the time I had the camera aimed at him, he had jumped onto the cherry tree. Hard to see him, but he's there... Spot the Squiggle. Sorry the photos are not very clear.  

Photobucket

*Edit to add: After Flighty's comment saying he had washed his glasses twice and still couldn't see my visitor (which is a grey-black squirrel) I have attempted to point him out (not Flighty, the squirrel). As mentioned, somehow my camera had put itself (nothing to do with me ;)) on a weird setting and my photos were all out of focus. So perhaps you don't need new glasses after all, Flighty. Now can you see it?    (Eek, it looks like my cherry tree is wearing glasses and peering in the window)

Photobucket

Photobucket


Meanwhile, at the front, there have been squawkings of Jays, the presence of Northern Flickers and many little Dark-eyed Juncos flitting about, frequenting the suet feeders and gleaning nature's offerings.





But the best surprise of all was the sweet chirpings of the Ruby-crowned Kinglet that has visited here before. (there's a clickable audio on the link as well as info) He's such a little sweet thing that I couldn't believe he had such a warbly chirp. It was his call that brought me to the front window. Yesterday, his bright red head was very visible, but my camera seemed to be at the wrong setting, so I wasn't able to get a good focus! I was slightly perturbed! This is the best I could do:


Photobucket





Here's a clearer photo I took in October. I was pleased to know he had survived our snowy cold spell.

Photobucket

Today, I heard his chirp, and there he was in the window box once again, but this time he decided to have a quick bath. No sign of his red hair when he was splashing.



He is just the cutest thing and makes my day! When I glanced at my horoscope in the local paper today it read: "A red head surprises you!" That brought a chuckle.


The woodland garden that is close by is hosting a winter wonderland of lights. It was a nice clear night for the walk there and back, and quite magical.  The Gardener's cottage is filled with teddy bears ... a toy train runs through their midst.

Photobucket


I hope I have another surprise visit from my little red head tomorrow because I think I've figured out what was up with my camera :)

9 comments:

  1. Despite cleaning my glasses and looking twice on full screen I still couldn't spot him, whatever he is!
    Lucky you with the Kinglet, and fingers crossed that next time you'll get a really good photo of it.
    The woodland garden and cottage sounds, and looks, rather wonderful.
    Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. it must be so much fun to sit and gaze out your windows....you have so many wonderful woodland friends! :)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL Flighty ~ I have edited the post to pinpoint the critter. Hope you can see him now.

    No sign or sound of the Kinglet today, but perhaps tomorrow :)

    The woodland garden was lovely and it is open next weekend as well, so depending on the weather, I may have another walk down there.

    Hi Lori ~ Yes, the wildlife is quite interesting around here and I really enjoy seeing new and old visitors to the garden! Thanks for coming by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just realized when I added the 'edit' last night I posted it with red coloured font ~ brilliant (not) when I have a red background! I've changed the font back to white.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't a black squirrel rather unusual? The tree wearing glasses is a bit creepy! I like how your horoscope said you would be surprised by a red head, and up pops nature's own little red head mohawk! I'm getting to grips with a new camera, hence lack of blog posts! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Louise ~ Good to see you and hope you and your new camera come to grips really soon ;) Yes, I don't think I've ever seen a black squirrel around here before. I googled them and found out that they are not native to BC and were introduced into Stanley Park (Vancouver) on the mainland about 25 years ago...they have recently started to appear on Vancouver Island. An interesting read here
    http://www.vancouverisland.com/wildlife/?id=72

    ReplyDelete
  7. He looks like a rather muscular fellow, your new visitor. Black and sleek.

    Ah, that kinglet is gorgeous. I'm sure he elicits smiles wherever he goes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for pointing him out! Lucky you seeing a black squirrel as they are rarely seen.
    I would have been rather worried had I needed new glasses as these are only a few months old! Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Nikki~ I have only seen the black squirrel once, and it did take me by surprise ~ yes, he does seem sleek and well fed!

    Hi Flighty ~ well, I'm glad to hear you can see him now, and that there is no more worry about your new glasses not seeing such a spectacle ;)

    ReplyDelete