Tuesday, December 15, 2009

A Cool Yule

Catching up, once again!  Hope everyone is getting in the spirit of the season!  Let the love inside each one of us shine!



I had another visit to where the river meets the sea.  It was a cool, clear, bright and windy day. 






Photobucket



The sea birds gathered together to welcome the Trumpeter Swans and perhaps rehearse their version of the Twelve Days of Christmas. 

Photobucket
Twelve mallards dipping
Eleven seagulls flying
Ten salmon leaping
Nine seals a-peaking
Eight cormorants standing
Seven swans a-swimming  
Six geese a-laying
Five golden eagles
Four calling birds
Three oystercatchers
Two Great Blue Heron
And a bald eagle in a fir tree!  


According to this site, and in reference to the Trumpeter Swan:    An aristocratic bugling call and response rises among them that makes the homely honk of Canada geese and the quotidian quack of mallards sound decidedly plebian.
What an apt and delightful description!



Photobucket



The wind held the gulls in place long enough for a few photos!






Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


 Here's a fish out of water ~ (litter-ally) ....sorry;)



Photobucket























The temperatures have been dropping and as I was looking out of the living room window, something caught my eye --- in the birdbath!







Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket



Mr. Sneaky, what do you think you are doing in there?

Once Mr. Sneaky departed, I went outside   I took note of the winter jasmine and a primrose and a junco keeping well out of the way!  Maybe he was trying to ring the seed bell in alarm!









Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket




Look closer!  Do you see what I see? 


Photobucket
Is that Mother Nature's idea of teasing and tempting a cat?  

Can you see a bird created from pine needles and leaves amidst the ice in the birdbath?





I have been working, baking, putting up the tree, watching the Christmas Concert and even going for a walk in the snow!  Yes, it snowed yesterday, but today it has been washed away. ~ Oh, and eating warm gingerbread with custard...No photos of that, either ;)




I bought new boots!  My old winter boots have done me well, but were not quite up to the depths of snow that fell last year, so I decided to treat myself to a new pair that are OK to -32 C.  That ought to do it!  They took me for a walk in the snow last night.  Unfortunately, I didn't take my camera as it was snowing quite heavily.  So just imagine the magic of scrunching snow under warm treaded boots, and looking at all the bright Christmas lights and decorations as I walked starry-eyed around the block.  I felt like a kid!


Until next time ~ 







Photobucket


3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed looking at this post over a cup of tea earlier on. I like that first gull photo, it's great to watch them do that when it's windy.
    I like your take on the twelve days of Christmas, and your mention of walking round the block looking at the lights and decorations certainly brings back some fond memories.
    As for the warm gingerbread with custard I could do with some here as it's been cold and snowing today. Thankfully it hasn't settled but there's more to come which might!
    Take care and stay warm, Flighty! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving that cold blue sky in your photos, Glo. And I love your version of the 12 days ;-) You get to see so much of the feathered friends.

    That fish -- he's waaaaay out of the water, poor guy!

    Mr. Sneaky looks like he's got plans, but they are foiled by the decoy in the birdbath. Think the birds had anything to do with it?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Flighty. I'm glad you enjoyed my post. Yes, it's handy when the wind holds the birds still for photo shots! It has been rainy since, so I'm glad I took the opportunity to have a scrunch in the snow, and pleased it brought back memories for you. I put the rest of the gingerbread in the freezer, otherwise I was going to be eating the whole thing!! I'm wondering if you will have a white Christmas. Hope you keep warm as well...time for the woolly bed socks?? LOL

    Hi Nikki! A very apt description - 'cold blue'. Now it is cold and wet grey! Haven't seen too much of the sun lately.
    Wasn't that an interesting combination of leaves and pine needles ... patterns of nature, and yes, the birds might have flocked together to hatch that plan! Good thinking!

    ReplyDelete